Monday, August 29, 2011

Cozumel - Mayan ruins

If you go Cozumel Mexico, you might explore the 2 sites of ruins in Cozumel: El Cedral and San Gervasio.
Both sites are easy to find. Most of the tour guide books and brochures included maps that directed us to the sites. On my last trip, we rented a Jeep and drove to both of these sites. It took about 20-30 minutes to travel between each site. We were on a cruise and had the whole day in Cozumel. There was plenty of time to sight see, go to beach, drink a few margaritas, and go shopping downtown.

El Cedral consists of a small church and a monument. It was not the most exciting excursion, but it was interesting to learn the history of the place. During the day that we went, there was not much happening. There were a few tourist shops and a store that sold drinks and snacks. I thought that the tourist shops were too expensive because I got better deals in town. I could not complain too much since it did not cost anything to have a look around and see the sites.
On the other hand, the ruins at San Gervasio Mayan ruins required an entrance fee. It is best to have pesos to pay the entrance fee. With the exchange rate, I paid the equivalent of $7. San Gervasio Mayan ruins consist of structures built years ago. There was a house and kitchen structure. It was a bit of stretch of the imagination to visualize the ruins because most looked like piles of rocks.

The history of San Gervasio was lost on me because the place is a mosquito farm. I guess I went during the rainy season. The place was wet from rain and mosquitoes were everywhere. I am sure that is not what the locals call it, but I got numerous bites in the short time I was there. I stopped counting after 50! I had not seen all of the ruins, but I was ready to go. In retrospect, I am glad that I did not get malaria or one of those other mosquito-borne sicknesses.

If you are feeling adventurous, check it the ruins. Do not expect to be “WOW”-ed though. It is a low cost activity on the island as long as you do not get suckered by any of the locals selling overpriced souvenirs.
If you go during the rainy season, take plenty of bug spray and lotion.
Overall, I have to stress that it is something to do on the island, but do not feel that this is something you have to experience before you die.


No comments:

Blogging U

Blogging U.