Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Couponing

I went to CVS the other day, sales paper and coupons in hand, to rack up some savings. Couponing has become a trendy new activity because of the recession. I remember the good old days when couponing was not so popular. Back then, the coupon values were high. During the last year, I would say that I had grown disillusioned with coupons. The coupon books in the Sunday newspaper had less coupons for the popular brand products and many of the values were lower and lower. A coupon that used to have face value of $1 off one, is now $1 off two OR $.40 off one. Since I was not using coupons, I did not even bother with brand name items either.
What was the use of paying more for a product with a coupon that has less face value?
But I have been reenergized. It happened by accident. I was at my sister-in-law’s house one Sunday morning. She finished reading the paper and threw the coupons in the recycle bin.
I said, “What are you doing? That is like throwing money away.”
She told me that she does not use coupons, so why keep them?
After fishing the coupons out of the recycle bin, I decided to cut them out and see if the savings would be worth it. I knew I would have to pair the coupon up with additional saving (product already on sale) to compensate for the fact that the coupon value is lower.

Deals of the WEEK
***Hydro razon (regular price $10 on sale for $8.49 AND received $5 CVS bucks) with $2 off coupon = paid $1.49 (total savings $8.50)***
Fig newton and Chips Ahoy (reg price $8.28 on sale 2 for $5) with $1 off coupon = paid $4 (total savings $4.28)

In total, I spent $20 for $50 worth of goods. Granted I think the stores have marked up the prices of good so I do not know if the goods are really worth $50. In any case, if a person went to the store and paid regular price for the same items that I purchased, they would pay more than double what I paid. THAT makes me feel good about couponing.

No comments:

Blogging U

Blogging U.