Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Squash Casserole

I was feeling sentimental and wanted some comfort food from my childhood. One of the dishes I remember my  mom making in the summertime was squash casserole. This was something that only she and I ate because my brother did not (still does not like) squash. He liked okra and I didn't. And I liked squash and he didn't. And my lovely mom would cook both squash and okra to make sure we had our serving of vegetables at mealtime. I loved her for that. But I digress.
Every now and then, I get a desire to eat the food from my youth. Unfortunately for me, I did not pay attention to how my mom cooked the food that I took for granted. Thankfully though, I have Google. I try to find recipes that have similar steps that sound familiar to what she was doing while I half paid attention trying to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible. And in the case of the squash casserole, one of my professors from my college days shared a recipe with me.
My hubby is working in a community garden and when the squash was ready to be harvested, I told him to set aside 2-3 pounds for me to make squash casserole.
The recipe was fairly easy to make. I thought that I would burn the flour-butter mixture, but I did not. If you decide to try this recipe and you are not sure, have the temperature is medium-low heat.
I shredded my cheese to make it easier to add. I added cheese on top at the same time I added the crackers because I like my cheese crunchy. If you just want it melted, add 10 minutes before cooking time is complete.
The good thing about casseroles is that everything is dumped into a dish, topped with cheese, and baked until done. EASY!
If my mom could see me now, she would be proud. She would laugh too. Funny how when we grow up we become wistful for those simple pleasures enjoyed in our childhood. And if we were fortunate to have good parents, we end up doing some of the same things they did.

No comments:

Blogging U

Blogging U.