Monday, September 12, 2011

poem: Good Ol Days

Good Ol’ Days

Saw a program about disappearing country stores
Older people sit around and fondly reminisce of the good ol’ days
The South- full of hospitality where everyone is treated like family
There were no strangers on friends they did not know yet
A better time

Part of me wishes I could have been there
Thinking better of it though
Wonder who was part of the Klan back in the day
Maybe they did not set fire to crosses or actively practice intimidation
but were they friends to people that did those awful things?

Old time friendly country store in the Segregated South
Also known for colored only bathrooms and back door entrances
Do I still want to be there?

Makes my heart heavy to think how I might have been treated during the
Good Ol’ Days
instead of looking backwards to the days that were good for some
need to look forward
Really good days for all coming ahead
Time is coming when color of my skin will be a non issue
Wherever I go

No comments:

Blogging U

Blogging U.