Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Why I will not buy a mercedes in Tampa FL

Last October 11, 2009 I went the Dale Mabry Mercedes dealership in Tampa Florida. I was so disappointed with the treatment that I received that location. I know that the country is in a recession and every sales person has to be aggressive to make sales. But that is no excuse for the strong handed way I was treated there.

When I entered the dealership I made it clear to the salesman that I was not looking to buy a car that day. I told the salesman that several times.

He asked me what would my budget before if I did decide to buy. I repeated what I said before. I was not looking to buy a car. I did not know what my budget would be as I had not set one. I just wanted to see what was available and the price ranges.

But he was insistent on showing me the C-class cars.

Okay.

Fine.

The C-class cars look nice. They are MERCEDES! That is a given.

He asked me if I wanted to test drive the car.

No. Again I repeat what is becoming like a song’s refrain “I am not here to buy a car.”

Fine.

He asked me for my name and phone number for their database. He said that he would be in trouble if he did not get that information.

I gave that to him. I was trying to get him to leave me alone.

He asked me if I wanted a drink of water.

Fine.

“Follow me,” he said, “and I will get it for you.”

I followed him, naively thinking that he finally got the picture and I would be able to peruse the car lot in peace.

I felt comfortable and started looking at the brochures that were on display.

Then the salesman asked for some more information. What job did I have? What was the budget for a car?

WHOA!” I said, “Let me make this clear: I DO NOT WANT TO BUY A CAR TODAY.”

He puts his hands up like I am overreacting. He said that he wants to have the information on file in case they get a car in stock that I might like.

I said that I was not in the market for a car. When I am in the market, I will come back and request assistance then.

Then the manager came over and blocked my exit.

He was trying to explain why it was in my best interest to give the information the salesman requested.

At this point, I was at the point of a panic attack. I felt frantic. I felt claustrophobic. My main priority was to get out of there.

While these people were pushing my buttons, I had an inner war going on. I could have begun shouting at them to leave me alone, but I did not want to seem like the “crazy black person”. At the same time, I felt my blood pressure rising and my heart racing.

I did not know what to do.

How did it get to this? I just wanted to look at the cars.

Why were they pressuring me?

Why couldn’t they leave me alone?

Why are they cornering me as if that will change my mind?

My friend who was waiting for me outside saw what was happening to me through the window. He came inside, pushed the manager out of the way, and guided me out of the dealership.

What a relief. Disaster averted.

It was such a harrowing experience. I have been to Subaru, Toyota, Nisan, Suzuki, Ford, Honda, and Lexus dealers. I have never had anything like that to happen to me. Maybe those strong arm tactics work with other people. But I do not like to be pushed into making a purchase I did not want to make.

This occurrence seriously affected me. It happened months ago, but even now as I write, I relive a little of the stress that I felt on that day.

No comments:

Blogging U

Blogging U.