Sunday, October 01, 2006

Los Angeles Trip...part one

Los Angeles trip

First of all this trip has been a series of adventures and
misadventures. I should have known it was going to be an interesting
weekend when I was without power Thursday night and had to pack by
candle light. Then I left my Ipod in the car. Why was that so
memorable? Because I was at the gate waiting with Nana to board the
airplane! Thankfully we arrived at the airport in good time, so I had
enough time to go BACK to the car, get my Ipod, and return to the
gate. It took me an hour of walking to get my little mp3 player. In
retrospect, I am glad that I did. However when I went through Security
the second time, they threw away my lip gloss because it was not in a
"plastic bag". Nana said those heifers fished it out of the trash
after I left. I believe that. Well once on the plane I could not get a
comfortable position to sleep. So I was tossing and turning the whole
4 hours. My side and neck hurt from the way I was contorted at times.
And on top of that, I had stomach cramps.
Well when we got to LA, we got to the Dollar car rental place without
a hitch. I was happy about that. And I even got to rent a 2006 Jeep
Liberty. I was saying "SWEET!!!!" because I knew that I looked ultra
cool. Also we arrived at the hotel without a hitch. I had directions
on my email, I did not have a chance to print them out. But I was not
stressing, I was too tired for that. I had been up since 6:30 am, so I
was not in the mood for anything but a shower, check my email, and go
to bed. Well I could not check email because internet is $10/day!!!! I
was very conflicted with those prices. I could not bring myself to log
on. Screw that. This is LA. Surely there is a free hot spot somewhere.
On the first day of our vacation, I took Nana to Aunt Norma's house.
Aunt Norma was so happy to see us. She could not believe that I got
there without calling her first for directions. I was on top of the
world, quite pleased with myself. It is funny that I had been so smug,
because I would not have believed what was going to happen within the
next few hours.
I left Nana at the Aunt Norma's because they were going to a funeral
at 2. One of their Belizean sisters had passed and so they were going
to pay their respects. I told them I was going shopping. Well, I was
going to the swat meet on Slauson. I decided to make a detour at
Walgreens. I needed to refill a prescription, buy some hair products,
and get a memory card for my camera. Yeah, I said a memory card. ALL
the memory cards I have at home and not a one in my possession now
that I am thousands of miles away. Well I got everything but the
memory card and I was about to go across the street to the CVS. When I
got in my Jeep, the b*stard would not start. This was not supposed to
happen. This is a 2006 JEEP!!!! WTF?!?!? So I breathe in and out to
calm myself. There has got to be a simple explanation. I turn the off
the car and try again. Nothing. So I call Dollar rental.
I want to scream "TAKE THIS POS AND BRING ME ANOTHER CAR!!!!"
But instead, I politely ask, "Is there a reason it won't start?"
The chick on the other end does not know. She said she will put in a
call for jump start. Ok. It will be about 45 minutes. Ok. Meanwhile, I
am glad that I am in the shopping center. I go to Goodwill. Nothing of
interest there, but a small bag on sale for $2.50.
Then I go across the street to the CVS. I needed to walk anyway (or at
least that is what I tell myself). I am still looking for a memory
card, so it is not like I am wasting time. Well CVS employees seem to
be quite inept. I thought it was a simple question, "DO you have
secure digital memory cards?" Something must have been lost in
translation because took 3 people to help with that one. Then they
found one. Just one 128MB card for $40. I was like, "Ahhhh, no. See ya
later losers."
So I head up the street. Not like I am driving any where any time
soon. There was a Rite Aid. On the walk over there, I get a phone
call. The jump start guy will be there in 15 minutes. My day was just
about to pick up. And in Rite Aid I found a 128 MB card for $10. Yes,
things were picking up. I was feeling good again.
Well, I leave Rite Aid and arrive at my POS the same time at the jump
start guy. He asked to me to pop the hood and he used his equipment to
give it a jump. Nothing. So the jump start turned to be a no start
waste of time. I was bummed out at this point. So I called the rental
people back and told them I needed another car. They sent one in an
hour and half. I waited in Starbucks – which I thought was a free hot
spot but was NOT! If you buy T-mobile minutes then you can connect. So
I listened to my Ipod (glad I had it) and chilled with my frappacino.
I figured that I had to buy something since I was there for so long.
Well then they guy came with the new car and I was on my way. Hurrah.
I made it to the swap meet. But alas, no decent looking purses to take
my breath away. I did get a couple of nice blouses. Actually they are
HOT! I cant wait to wear them. People will ask "Oooo, where did you
get that?" And I can say Cali.

But the trip is not over yet. To be continued...

No comments:

Blogging U

Blogging U.